For more than a century, the U.S. government has taken an interest in making sure that the nation’s transportation system operates in a safe and efficient manner. Since the 1930’s, that interest has extended to include the transportation of goods and passengers by commercial motor vehicle (CMV) on public roadways. The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) is charged with ensuring that commercial trucks, buses, and other vehicles are operated safely, to prevent accidents, injuries, and fatalities. This manual provides detail on key transportation safety issues.
More than just the regulations and their interpretations, this manual provides
comprehensive how-to information on critical topics, including:
- Compliance fundamentals — registration, USDOT number, insurance, and other prerequisite compliance information
- Personnel management — driver qualification, CDL standards, drug and alcohol testing
- Hours-of-Service management — limits and recordkeeping
- Vehicle management — equipment requirements, inspections, and maintenance
- CMV driving — restrictions, accidents, and hazardous materials
- Enforcement programs and penalties — CSA, audits, and ratings; proceedings and penalties
Highlights throughout the manual — carefully selected by our on-staff experts — make compliance management easy:
Compliance Point — A portion of a regulation often misunderstood or missed.
Did You Know? — Facts and insights that facilitate understanding of key topics.
Caution — Information on how to minimize risk, or avoid danger or damage.
Historical Note — Background or historical information on a requirement.